[OSGeo-Standards] [OSGeo-Discuss] Live DVD and OGC standards - GeoPackage

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 15:04:59 PDT 2013

On 9/07/2013 6:59 AM, Stefan Keller wrote:
> Referring to the initial question, GeoPackage with SQLite/Spatialite
> "format" would have a chance to become "the Shapefile of the future".
> The OGC just recently had the chance to adopt this existing encoding -
> but unfortunately voted against in favor of an own spec.
Stefan, I missed the discussion related to this decision. (I actually
didn't realise that the decision had been made).
Could you please recap why "GeoPackage was not considered as the
shapefile of the future".
Was it discounted outright? Or identified as too immature to adopt yet?

--
Cameron Shorter
Software and Data Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial & Data Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com