[OSGeo-Standards] Version 1 of the Triangulated Irregular Network Text File Format Specification

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:11:12 PDT 2013

As part of my work mentoring the JTIN Version 2 Project under the OSGeo
Summer of Code umbrella, I did some work developing a text file format for
the transfer and storage of TIN data.

This file format has now been released as an open technology standard
through the SurveyOS Project. You can read more about it here:
http://www.redefinedhorizons.com/surveyos/standards-triangulated-irregular-network-text-file-format-specification-released/

By the end of the summer we should have a GeoTools module that can read
/write the format and use it to create TIN models in computer memory.

The spec may go through some tweaking before Version 2 of the standard is
released. As work on JTIN progresses, I'd like to add support for things
like hillshades, watershed definitions, and viewshed definitions to the
file format.

I'm going to see if I can contact some surveying/engineering vendors to
build support for this standard and my other standard for survey data:
http://www.redefinedhorizons.com/surveyos/standards-simple-cogo-text-format-version-1-0-released/

If I can, I'll see if we might host this collaboration under the OSGeo
umbrella.

Thanks.

Landon