[OSGeo-Standards] link relations for features

Raj Singh rsingh at opengeospatial.org
Thu Jul 11 11:45:17 PDT 2013

I'm forking the discussion to the new subject "link relations for features" to talk only about vector features for a bit. I don't mind being at the code level for features, because I think we're ready for that. I just thought the coverages discussion still needs to be on a conceptual level.

I agree with everything you write below, but I don't think "east" is a useful relation. Half the world is east of any given feature, right? I like topological relationships: "within", "adjacent", "crosses", etc., but I think we need more than those, but we also need to avoid the slippery slope of moving into the semantic linked data arena. Here are some other thoughts:
- I don't see how a "next" relation helps with geodata
- I kind of like "near", but don't see how to define it consistently
- I like the idea of using a standard way of gridding up the world so that our feature collections can be all features in the grid cell, and you can use a "next" relation within the grid cell. The grid gives us a standard way of linking across data sets also.