[OSGeo-Standards] link relations for features

Rushforth, Peter Peter.Rushforth at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Jul 11 12:17:03 PDT 2013

> don't mind being at the code level for features, because I
> think we're ready for that. I just thought the coverages
> discussion still needs to be on a conceptual level.

Well I was looking at the wiki page regarding wcs 2.0 that Peter
pointed to earlier, and I could see a number of ways to look
at that from a REST perspective that aren't too far afield from
the discussion of features.  Certainly nothing on that page
currently qualifies the proposed service as RESTful, IMHO.

> I agree with everything you write below, but I don't think
> "east" is a useful relation. Half the world is east of any
> given feature, right?

If you don't have such a relation, how does the client know how
to pan?  (Hint: you can't tell me what the URI looks like).

> I like topological relationships:
> "within", "adjacent", "crosses", etc., but I think we need
> more than those, but we also need to avoid the slippery slope
> of moving into the semantic linked data arena.

The slippery slope to the Fetid Swamps of Unaddressable Names....

> Here are some
> other thoughts:
> - I don't see how a "next" relation helps with geodata

That's easy.  If a FeatureCollection has 1,000,000
features in it, do you want to try to parse the whole thing in
one request/response? OK, how about another zero?  Maybe you do,
but you shouldn't *have to*.  That is what gives GML a bad name,
IMHO.  Sorry Ron.

> - I kind of like "near", but don't see how to define it consistently

It's a good one, I agree.  It should be useful in some situations,
perhaps a radius search, or equal walking distance search
etc.

> - I like the idea of using a standard way of gridding up the
> world so that our feature collections can be all features in
> the grid cell, and you can use a "next" relation within the
> grid cell. The grid gives us a standard way of linking across
> data sets also.

The "world" is also a resource.  Maybe it is *the* resource in geo,
and representations of it contain links to sub-resources, all with
geospatial (among perhaps other) representations available.

A grid cell in a standard tile pyramid can then be a sub-representation
of the world.  It can have a represnetation as image/png or application/road+xml,
or for the kook kids among us, application/road+json etc.