[OSGeo-Standards] [OSGeo-Discuss] "Geoservices REST API" story is being discussed on slashdot

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 13:26:56 PDT 2013

Arnulf,
There were technical reasons for objecting to the GeoServices REST API,
based upon its quality - which could have been fixed. However my primary
objection, which was much harder to fix, was that Geoservices REST API
did not address the true definition of a standard because it was
directly competing with existing, established standards. I've quoted
government purchasing guidelines from around the world in order to
explain this statement here:
http://www.lisasoft.com/blog/will-ogc%E2%80%99s-standards-meet-government-purchasing-guidelines