[OSGeo-Standards] [OSGeo-Discuss] OGC liaison memberships

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Fri Jun 7 02:24:43 PDT 2013

Adrian,
I am sorry if I have insulted you and want to apologize for anything I
have said that you took as a personal criticism. If you feel that I
should clarify what I really meant to say we can take this thread off list.

Best regards,
Arnulf

On 06.06.2013 18:47, Adrian Custer wrote:
> Hey Seven,
>
> Thanks for the help on the OGC membership and the comments. Each
> provides room for progress. The rebuke started me thinking and then just
> pissed me off so was mostly lost on me.
>

> Everyone else, this mail is on this list since the original was sent
> here. Unfortunately, it combines a bunch of unrelated issues, and much
> of it actually deals with internal issues of the OGC so the mail as a
> whole may not be of interest to you. In this mail, I address several
> issues:
>   1. My obtaining membership of the OGC using an OSGeo slot
>   2. My lobbying at the OGC for OSGeo issues
>   3. The goal of evolving the OSGeo role at the OGC
>   4. Arnulf's critique of my recent activity
> The first three are easily addressed and relevant to this list; the
> latter is a ramble and mostly relevant to the OGC: it can easily be
> skipped.
>

> I. Membership
>
> The membership stuff is now in the OGC's hands. I'll let the list know
> when things are settled.
>

> II. Representation
>
> On 6/3/13 8:20 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
> ...snip...
>> Please note that this role is *not* an OSGeo / OGC "liaison
>> member". We do not have anything like this in place.
>

> Apparently we have a different understanding of that word so I will let
> it drop.
>
> At the OGC, I will represent myself only. I will describe my association
> with OSGeo as 'a second-class, non-voting member' to go along with my
> 'second-class, non-voting membership of the OGC', a nice parallel of
> dysfunctionality of the two groups.
>

> III. OSGeo's role at the OGC
>
> ...snip...
>>> On the front of OSGeo building deeper ties with the OGC and,
>>> perhaps becoming a voting member someday, I think we should move
>>> forwards on a number of fronts jointly.
>>
>> I am not sure whether it makes sense to make OSGeo a voting member of
>> the OGC at all. We put a lot of thought into this before coming up
>> with the MoU and 5 free membership slots. Our hopes were that having
>> people from broader OSGeo be able to actively contribute to the work
>> groups would be the right way forward. Voting is cheap. Work is hard.
>>
>> Another option would have been to make OSGeo a regular member of OGC.
>> This would require OSGeo to have a regular membership - which we
>> don't. Plus it would belittle the role of OSGeo as yet another
>> organization that is an OGC member - instead of acting at eye height
>> with the OGC. I am not sure whether the one more vote or not in the TC
>> would make any change at all. Especially given that we would have to
>> somehow collate all the opinions of the broader OSGeo community (which
>> is not defined) into a common position. Ugh. Good luck with that. :-)
>
> This raises interesting issues.
>
> You are right to remind me of the past, since indeed we argued that
> [...]

Arnulf Christl (Executive Director)
Open Source Geospatial Software, Data and Services
http://www.metaspatial.net