[OSGeo-Standards] What's GMLCOV and GMLCOV for JPEG2000?

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 04:41:22 PDT 2014

Hi all

These days OGC called for public comment on candidate standard for
encoding coverages in JPEG2000 (due by 20 August 2014),
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/123

Can somebody explain to the rest of us
* What are the use cases of GMLCOV and GMLCOV for JPEG2000?
* What is roughly GMLCOV and GMLCOV for JPEG2000?

I'm quite some years in the GIS and standardization business but I'm
sorry that I was unable to understand what's that all about without
reading the whole spec. Perhaps some examples would be helpful. I know
the coverage definition of OGC; so obviously the nouns grid, raster
and vector are avoided on purpose... even though JPEG must be raster!

--Stefan