[OSGeo-Standards] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 11 03:18:39 PDT 2015

On 04/11/2015 09:24 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I forgot to share URL:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR_Format_Letter

Are you aware of the legal issue in LASzip which likely contributed to
ESRI developing their own alternative?

LASzip contains code from the FastAC algorithm which allows distribution
but not modification.

The FastAC license is therefor incompatible with the LGPL-2.1+ license
used for LASzip which guarantees the right to modification.

I've been in contact with the LASzip & FastAC authors, but the latter
while willing have not relicensed the code.

Please help resolve the LASzip issue, so that this is no longer a
barrier to use. The FastAC licensing currently prevents LASzip to be
included in Debian and I assume the ERSI legal department raised similar
concerns to its use.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--