[OSGeo-Standards] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Apr 11 04:19:43 PDT 2015

Le samedi 11 avril 2015 12:18:39, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :
> On 04/11/2015 09:24 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> > I forgot to share URL:
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR_Format_Letter
>
> Are you aware of the legal issue in LASzip which likely contributed to
> ESRI developing their own alternative?
>
> LASzip contains code from the FastAC algorithm which allows distribution
> but not modification.
>
> The FastAC license is therefor incompatible with the LGPL-2.1+ license
> used for LASzip which guarantees the right to modification.

I believed the LGPL only guarantees the right to modification to the source
code that is licenced under LGPL, or am I wrong ? LGPL can (and does) put
constraints on code that uses it, but why/how could it put constraints on code
it uses ?

Similar situation: I can write GPL/LGPL code that works on Windows and links
against Windows system libraries, which don't give right to modification, but
it doesn't invalidate the fact that I chose GPL/LGPL license for my code and
doesn't prevent anyone using it under their terms.

For Debian, I can understand that it doesn't want to distribute code licensed
with free license that uses code with a not-free license. But from the point
of view of a proprietary software editor, if you don't need to make any
modification to the FastAC code, what's the issue ?

http://www.spatialys.com