[OSGeo-Standards] OGC Documentation and OSGeo Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 12:13:25 PST 2015

Hi Luis,
Yes, this is excellent material.
I'm happy to provide some feedback on the semantics of your content a
bit later.

But first I think we should plan a long term strategy for how OGC
standards are developed and published, and refine our ground rules.
Maybe something like a MoU.

What is OGC's schedule? Does it fit with the OSGeo-Live schedule? What
should be included in the next release?
Scott's comment earlier was "some things to review shortly after the New
Year". So we would need a bit more insight before we expand on that.

What will be our development model. Who will be allowed/encouraged to
edit docs? Do you want to try and tap into the OSGeo community to create
content? If so, we should publish a "Howto contribute", along with a
template for standards.
Do we want to publish our material to wikipedia or other sources?

We should try to avoid multiple points of truth. I'd imagine that the
OGC would maintain a point of truth, which then gets incorporated into
OSGeo-Live.

OSGeo-Live docs get translated into 10+ languages by the OSGeo-Live
community. Does the OGC wish to take advantage of this? If so, we should
work out the process.

The documents you mention are referencing an external WMS Server. This
introduces potential obsolescence  issues, such as if the server changes
of goes down in a year or two. OSGeo-Live also has WMS Servers, with
sample data. This could potentially be used as reference source. (Note,
we'd need to think through security of OSGeo Live if publishing to the web)

We have the potential to create an OGC training course, all self
contained on the OSGeo-Live VM, with overviews, exercises and sample
data. It would involve tweaking your existing docs, matching with web
services and data already on OSGeo-Live. Is this a goal you would wish
to pursue?