[OSGeo-Standards] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Sep 11 02:44:57 PDT 2015

Le vendredi 11 septembre 2015 11:29:26, Martin Isenburg a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> what needs to happen for this to be resolved? It was my understanding that
> the FastAC author was willing to relicense but that communication stopped
> at one point. Also ... we are currently re-designing the LASzip compressor
> due to the "natural break" in the format.
>
> http://rapidlasso.com/2015/08/31/riegl-becomes-laszip-sponsor-for-las-1-4-e
> xtension/
>
> This would allow to switch out FastAC for a similarly fast arithmetic range
> coder with a better license. Are you aware of any better
> licensed arithmetic compression schemes in the open source?

Martin,

Not sure how difficult it would be to modify it to be used in a more general
context, but Mozjpeg (actually a fork of libjpeg-turbo that implemented it
first : http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg-turbo/files/) has the arithmetic
coding stage of JPEG compression :
https://github.com/mozilla/mozjpeg/blob/master/jcarith.c

The libjpeg license is similar to BSD license (not in its text, but its
principles): https://github.com/mozilla/mozjpeg/blob/master/README

Even

http://www.spatialys.com