[OSGeo-Standards] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 02:29:26 PDT 2015

Hello,

what needs to happen for this to be resolved? It was my understanding that
the FastAC author was willing to relicense but that communication stopped
at one point. Also ... we are currently re-designing the LASzip compressor
due to the "natural break" in the format.

http://rapidlasso.com/2015/08/31/riegl-becomes-laszip-sponsor-for-las-1-4-extension/

This would allow to switch out FastAC for a similarly fast arithmetic range
coder with a better license. Are you aware of any better
licensed arithmetic compression schemes in the open source?

Regards.

Martin