[OSGeo-Standards] [OSGeo-Discuss] Geo4All - Empowering academics and educators globally - requesting colleagues to share Geo4All ideas at Geography Awareness Week

Munich Orientation Convention volksnav at volksnav.de
Wed Aug 17 01:00:38 PDT 2016

Hello Brian,

thank you for the confirmation that MOC isn’t (and shouldn’t be) free and open. Therefore:  OSGeo decisions actually are taken in absence of representatives of the inventor and the consumer, consequently can change when the wind changes.

My last approach concerned ideas to the Geo Awareness Week, that means, for young consumers. A similar situation: adults decide about writing, publishing and buying books for children.

In Bonn there will a speech about free, open and libre. This shows that in some cases openmania could be the wrong way.

The site “free the post code” www.freeThePostCode.org proves that even enigmatic post codes aren’t free, therefore universities etc. promote it (by unreflected use?). According to my surveys, nobody knows where is the N/S/E/W transition point ( the pole ! ) in London.

I also wrote to the National Geographic and I’m sure that Geo Awareness and open mind will overcome.

One possibility could be to amputate the invention to a free and open torso for those who insist on saving EUR 1,- . Would this be of interest for OSGeo?

Henrique