[OSGeo-Standards] OGC vote on LAS 1.4 as a community standard

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Fri Feb 3 08:25:49 PST 2017

thanks for focusing; basically the thread has expressed itself sufficiently, but
I see some misconceptions about OGC below which deserve clarification, so I'll
do a last post.

On 01/31/2017 04:23 PM, Howard Butler wrote:
> Collating this thread together into a single response...
>
>> On Jan 31, 2017, at 2:34 AM, Peter Baumann <p.baumann at jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>>> another (GeoRSS) was created by a small group of volunteers.
>>> OGC's shepherding of GeoRSS and corresponding implementation and ownership confusion was a very significant event that shaped my active participation in community-oriented standards efforts like ASPRS LAS and GeoJSON. GeoRSS was frustrating experience. The lesson of GeoRSS was an OGC "community stamp" should not ever be a quitclaim deed to transfer the community management and ownership of the specification to OGC, especially if the community of implementations around that document is still actively using, engaging, and supporting it.
>> Huh? OGC shold stand for it, but OGC has no means to do active quality control?
>> Interesting concept.
>> In other words: OGC should give a rubberstamp, but without any opportunity of
>> correcting possible flaws. Aka self-service shop for branding.
> It was OGC and OGC's membership that put forward LAS as a community standard, not the ASPRS LAS committee. OGC should not get to "quality control" anything. If OGC thinks it is not of high enough quality, they can proliferate a new document with new language, a new name, and no branding relationship to LAS. OGC should not get to benefit from the goodwill the LAS community has grown *and* be able to iterate the document to add support for its pets or modify it to align it with its other specifications for organizational purity reasons.

again, we are moving on political level. However, OGC is about technical merits
for a worldwide huge community of users and service operators that simply need
something that works. Not OGC has a benefit (if so), but the community that can
use it. Now OGC, given its broad range of specs resulting from the inherent
complexity of "geo", does a continuous struggle for "harmonization" as we call
it: making the different beasts compatible. We need to understand that OGC has a
larger perspective here (and a larger burden, BTW).

I guess OGC would not care about a new name should it decide to establish a
spec, but this is unwise if we want to bundle energies rather than trying power
play.

So not pets, but interoperability, maintainability, and fitness for purpose.
Not unilateral goodwill, but joint effort to best serve communities.
Not organizational purity (again, feels like an OSGeo concept), but democracy.

> OGC community standards are cobranding that allows OGC to both not do the work of making a new thing *and* take the reputational benefit of the community it seeks to cobrand. OGC shouldn't also get the benefit of being able to modify the existing document to serve its needs and force all implementations to catch up in the process. Are there any examples of OGC community standards where it was the co-opted community that asked to be OGC-branded?

NetCDF? GRIB2? more?

> We have built a significant implementation ecosystem for LAS for lidar. It's as entrenched as Shapefile is for vector data or GeoTIFF is for raster data. Individual OGC members could have joined ASPRS and participated on the committee if they needed things done. OGC membership doesn't get to show up now, after the fact, and under the auspices of stamping it a "community standard", have the right to modify the document and disrupt the implementations we have been working to nurture. Scott and OGC leadership have been clear there is no intention to do that with LAS.

I very much appreciate the valuable work invested into LAS. Question to me (who
has answered this questiona a couple of times for himself): is the LAS community
willing to put their (again: valuabe!) work into a larger context? As a
colleague of mine has put it: "let's put our pretty little minds together".

cheers,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)