[OSGeo-Standards] OGC MoU and Individual Membership slots

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Fri Feb 10 01:46:00 PST 2017

Hey Jachym,
thank you for your interest and yes, you are welcome to request the OGC
for a free Individual Membership as per our MoU with the OGC.

Next step for you is to follow their policies and procedures and sign an
Individual Membership form declaring that you do not work for a company
/ sign over your IP to an organization which could itself become an OGC
member etc. Debbie or Barabara will fill you in on the details.

Once done please come back to this list and let us know what date your
term ends so that we can update the membership page.

Thanks and best regards,
Arnulf

On 09.02.2017 20:47, Jáchym Čepický wrote:
> Hi Arnulf (and all others)
>
> I would like to formally ask for one slot OSGeo has reserved by OGC.
> Thought I do not have any fixed plan of concrete steps I would like to
> do or to contribute to, I would like to give it a try and see, what are
> the benefits.
>
> I'm active in development of PyWPS (in incubation) - OGC WPS
> implementation and recently, I came across REST API for geospatial data
> design and this topic is resonating in OGC too - maybe my input could be
> relevant.
>
> So, if there would be free slot, I would like to pick it up for the next
> year.
>
> Thank you
>
> Jachym
>
> Dne 6.2.2017 v 15:25 Arnulf Christl napsal(a):
>> Dear Board,
>> this is to update you on the activities around the MoU with the OGC.
>>
>> Currently four OSGeo members have access to closed OGC groups through
>> the Individual Membership slots as per the MoU with the OGC [1]. There
>> are currently two vacant slots so there seems to be no need to remove
>> any of the current members (even although they give way less feedback
>> about what they are doing than agreed on in the rules (nudge, nudge)).
>> Every now and then activity can be seen, if only be inference.
>>
>> Also, the OGC has opened up considerably and more and more standards
>> work groups chose to work with public repositories and allowing public
>> comments early in the process. So maybe the need for this informal
>> committee is decreasing would mean that we accomplished our mission. But
>> for now we keep things running as they are.
>>
>> Michael Gerlek stepped down from the selection committee (ages ago), but
>> I never got around to reporting this. Thanks Michael for all the good
>> work and support!
>>
>> Bruce Bannerman has kindly offered to step up and help out with the
>> selection progress of OSGeo individuals, to function as a second liaison
>> officer to the OGC and help out with list administrivia. Thanks, Bruce!
>>
>> Anything else you need to know please contact Bruce or myself through
>> this list or individually.
>>
>> Thanks & all the best,
>> Arnulf
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_Membership