[OSGeo-Standards] OSGeo Individual OGC Membership Slot: Committee

Arnulf Christl (Metaspatial) arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Fri Oct 6 00:25:34 PDT 2017

Folks,

the OGC Individual Members Slots as per our MoU have so far been given
to individuals on a first come first serve basis. We have clear rules on
what obligations come with using the slot as noted down here:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_Membership#OSGeo_Member_Access_to_OGC_Membership

So far we have not been "enforcing" or even regularly controlling
whether people adhere to these very low requirements. In the five years
that I have managed this process I have only received 6 such reports. As
long as there were free slots this was not really an issue. It appears
that we are now "full" and should be more strict with the process.

Having said this I would like to offer my resignation from the committee
because I very apparently do not manage to process requests in a timely
manner. I am happy to stick around as long as required and am also happy
to help design a more robust process than the current one (which
basically consists of Bruce and me gravely nodding and then proceed).

CC'ing the Board which may also want to recheck our little committee
because it may not live up to OSGeo's formal processes anymore as these
have evolved over the past years.

Thanks,
Arnulf

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/standards/2017-September/001056.html