[OSGeo-Standards] Introductions Rob Atkinson @ OGC

Rob Atkinson ratkinson at ogc.org
Tue Oct 22 15:30:20 PDT 2019

Hi All

my role at the OGC includes development, maintenance and research around
sharing of "definitions" in general - which includes specs, data models,
registers of things like CRS, sensor descriptions etc - anything OGC
working groups might need to publish.

We are taking a "Technology Neutral Linked Data" approach - where we use
content-negotiation and URIs to deliver definitions in different forms.

The legacy of OGC definitions I have inherited is being gradually enriched
by inclusion of related information and cross-references.

The main issue I wish to explore in this forum is interoperability of such
systems - the goal is not to be stuck with every group maintaining a silo
of information with indeterminate amount of overlap and version
consistency.

Interoperability comes in three "layers"
1) functional behaviour - resolving a term to get a definition
2) data exchange - schema and vocabularies (e.g. status) of payloads of
access methods
3) content re-use - transparent and effective reuse of content instead of
the status quo of "embedded copies of some version of reused content
without provenance metadata" (aka data governance and dependency management)

The OGC service is being upgraded to a emerging W3C standard for its
functional behaviour: https://w3c.github.io/dxwg/conneg-by-ap/

the next step is to standardise the "profiles" we wil support.

Will pass on some materials about the OGC Definitions Server for review in
due course.

If someone could lay out your roadmap against these concerns (even if its
an active decision to ignore) it would help before I go into any technical
detail or provide unwanted advice :-)

Rob Atkinson <ratkinson at ogc.org <kstegemoller at ogc.org>>
Senior Research Engineer
Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)