[OSGeo-Standards] [Board] glossary discussion on osgeo-standards ....

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:50:14 PDT 2019

Rob, Reese, all,
I'm keen to see us focusing on quick wins first, an ensuring we have a
simple and sustainable process that anyone within the OSGeo community
can easily engage with.

0. Current state is that ~ half of the OSGeo projects have HTML
glossaries, without any fixed guidelines or consistency between them.

1. Initial proposal from one of our tech writers (Felicity) was to
aggregate into a master glossary. That would be easy, valuable, and
could easily be linked into the existing OSGeoLive annual build process.

2. The next step which I'm hoping Reese and Ron can champion is to add a
light approval process to this, which helps standardise terminology
used. Ron and Reese have provided excellent recommendations in this
regard. I think it can be light weight and sustainable with volunteer
effort with existing tools proposed. THIS WOULD BE HUGELY VALUABLE AS
IS. I think it should be the first milestone we aim for.

3. OSGeo terminology can be sourced from OGC and ISO terminology, and a
process can be introduced to mature OSGeo terminology into OGC/ISO lexicon.

4. Rob has suggested taking this further, which I'm okay with if
resources can be found, but I think it we should bed down step 2 first
and focus on building a light weight and sustainable OSGeo Lexicon
community.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier