[OSGeo-Standards] [Board] glossary discussion on osgeo-standards ....

Rob Atkinson ratkinson at ogc.org
Thu Oct 24 17:49:19 PDT 2019

Inline...

Rob Atkinson <ratkinson at ogc.org <kstegemoller at ogc.org>>
Senior Research Engineer
Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
http://www.opengeospatial.org/

The OGC: Making location count.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 8:50 AM Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Rob, Reese, all,
> I'm keen to see us focusing on quick wins first,\

always an imperative

> an ensuring we have a
> simple and sustainable process

simple and sustainable are likely to be a source of tension...  think Java
dependencies - maven makes it sustainable because it does not force
oversimplification - the cost is you have to invest in the machinery to
keep simple pieces working smoothly together.  (and any Java old-timers
will know how painful it was when we had the "simple" solution of a few
mega-libraries that changed every-single-freaking-day...

> that anyone within the OSGeo community
> can easily engage with.
>
> this is the right focus - making the engagement simple - and let the
solution fall out the best way possible.

> 0. Current state is that ~ half of the OSGeo projects have HTML
> glossaries, without any fixed guidelines or consistency between them.
>
> 1. Initial proposal from one of our tech writers (Felicity) was to
> aggregate into a master glossary. That would be easy, valuable, and
> could easily be linked into the existing OSGeoLive annual build process.
>
> this is critical - the aggregation needs to be a modular and disciplined
approach that allows updates to be automated. If you get this wrong now
then "sustainable" becomes a pipe dream.
OGC manages this by "graphs" - each set of concepts is scoped in a
ConceptScheme (what it is) that is treated as a Register (how it is
managed) and has a Namespace (how it is accessed and concept identifiers
are turned into URIs to access it). Graphs are also the unit by which sets
of terms can be packaged - so for example getting the set of available
status codes.

Each ConceptScheme has two related things - the metadata of the thing and
the "collection" view - which is a hierarchical view of the contents
bundled into Collections.

eg.

ConceptScheme : http://www.opengis.net/def/dataType
Collection View: http://www.opengis.net/def/dataType/
Sub-collection: http://www.opengis.net/def/dataType/IETF-RFC-4646/

(ps this example shows a number of the things we need to improve in the UI
and content - decent descriptions of all these top-level registers,
seamless handling of sameAs relationships, better handling of nested
properties and labels.  If anyone has a student or intern wanting a Java
Velocity project let me know :-)  )

> 2. The next step which I'm hoping Reese and Ron can champion is to add a
> light approval process to this, which helps standardise terminology
> used.

start with sets - registers - then a means to delegate individual term
approvals to designated and documented set owners.  Give me the set of
metadata you want to have for each register and I will create a standard
profile description for that metadata set, (including SHACL validation
specification) and turn it into an interoperable RDF form (and derived
JSON-LD form) I can host examples on OGC defs server dev environment - and
look to update OGC metadata to follow this profile too - its on my todo
list but great to have your needs folded into a solution.

Ron and Reese have provided excellent recommendations in this
> regard. I think it can be light weight and sustainable with volunteer
> effort with existing tools proposed. THIS WOULD BE HUGELY VALUABLE AS
> IS. I think it should be the first milestone we aim for.
>
> If it includes delegation to be sustainable - I would agree. (not
delegation can be "virtual" the same people can act as Register Manager -
but ownership of each set should be clear - and used to identify
appropriate update policies.

> 3. OSGeo terminology can be sourced from OGC and ISO terminology, and a
> process can be introduced to mature OSGeo terminology into OGC/ISO lexicon.
>

> 4. Rob has suggested taking this further,

Not really further - I believe I am suggesting how not to fail before you
start :-)  The world is littered with random collections (trust me: I've
looked into the Gazetteer problem which is a mess of "simple" point
solutions - when it comes to UN disaster response it was estimated to add
about three days to response times in emergencies.. )

> which I'm okay with if
> resources can be found,

I dont think what I'm suggesting takes any extra resources (if a technical
solution is proposed that can't be made to manage content in separately and
simply updateable subsets you need to walk away slowly , maintaining eye
contact... ).  I am able to fine tune OGC content and API interfaces to
support your needs, and help with any design.

Note - i am not pushing a tech - but I am pushing for open and
interoperable interfaces so such a lexicon can be integrated into any
client software that needs it.

--
*Location Powers: Data Science*
<http://www.locationpowers.net/events/1911california/>