[OSGeo-Standards] glossary discussion on osgeo-standards ....

Carl Reed carl.n.reed at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 06:55:18 PDT 2019

All -

There is a multi-lingual glossary of terms used in ISO and OGC standards

https://committee.iso.org/sites/tc211/home/re.html

TC 211 regularly updates this document.

Regards

Carl

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 5:42 PM Felicity Brand <felicitybrand at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I spent a few hours yesterday collating content from sources people had
> sent us into a spreadsheet. There's nearly 500 terms in there:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19tulyAEDN5Q5n-u_jlmXIKQjPI2Lwv6fh5Orad1mz1I/edit#gid=0
>
> As I understand it:
>
>    - Before we can do any sort of bulk upload we'll need to add columns
>    for the fields we're missing to comply with the required format. (For
>    example, entry_status, authoritative_source, etc)
>    - We'll need to review and cull terms that are generic or extraneous -
>    that aren't quite OSGeo specific.
>

> Thanks
> Felicity
>
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 9:27 AM Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> As per links below, Ron has set up an OSGeo Glossary system that we can
>> play around with.
>> Feedback welcomed ...
>>
>> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 07:51, Reese W. Plews <rplews at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hello Cameron, good morning. no problem moving back to the mail list.
>>> we just were not sure if you were ready that it be shown to your group
>>> or not at this time.
>>>
>>> the loading process for geolexica was built around the requirements of
>>> the ISO MLTG excel file. moving entries into an excel file with the
>>> same format would be the easiest way to load content. bringing them in
>>> from another source would require code additions/modifications. Ron
>>> can tell you where those modifications would be needed and i am sure
>>> there are members in your group who could work up something that meets
>>> your requirements. but if you have entries already in a list-like
>>> form, putting them into excel is an easy way.
>>>
>>> i was not aware of the other projects, but Ron may have heard of them
>>> before. thank you for mentioning our work to them. if they are able to
>>> make use of geolexica or some of the terminology management concepts
>>> that we use within TC211 i think we are very happy.
>>>
>>> will be in touch,
>>>
>>> reese

>> From: Ronald Tse <tse at ribose.com>
>> Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 23:08
>> Subject: Re: glossary discussion on osgeo-standards ....
>> To: Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
>> Cc: Reese Plews <rplews at gmail.com>
>>

>> Hi Cameron,
>>
>> I’m happy to let you know the site is somewhat live (the design, not yet):
>> https://osgeodev.geolexica.org
>>
>> The first term there is your do-ocracy:
>> https://osgeodev.geolexica.org/concepts/10/
>>
>> The repo is located at:
>> https://github.com/geolexica/osgeo.geolexica.org
>>
>> I’ve added some contribution instructions here, certainly they can be
>> improved:
>> https://github.com/geolexica/osgeo.geolexica.org#contributing
>>
>> The deployment is automated. If you can provide your (and/or your team's)
>> GitHub handle(s) I can add you to the group for direct access, especially
> [...]

Carl Reed, PhD
Carl Reed and Associates

Mobile: 970-402-0284

“Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be
limited without being lost.”

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in
philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend"

— Thomas Jefferson, U.S. Founding Father