[OSGeo-Standards] GeoLexicon (OSGeo Glossary) pilot kicking off

Carl Reed carl.n.reed at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 07:40:15 PDT 2020

Nice idea!

However, just to follow up on what Rob said. How does one know if an OGC
standard is defining a term or not? There is a terms and definitions
section. According to recent OAB guidance, these should be normative T&Ds
for that particular standard. That is all well and good but - unfortunately
- terms do get defined in the body of the standard including in informative
clauses. I am not sure how any app could identify these "dangling" terms.

Cheers

Carl

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 9:22 PM Rob Atkinson <ratkinson at ogc.org> wrote:

> Thanks Cameron
>
> Scott - I think we need to spend some time mapping out how "glossaries"
> interact with specifications - and make sure we start off with linking
> specification writing processes into terminology management - both as a
> consumer and producer.
>
> for the broader community, OGC is looking to leverage OAS (Swagger)
> self-documentation capabilities - but at this stage we dont have a specific
> project looking at how to link terminology and API and specification
> processes together optimally, and if there are folk out there who feel
> willing able and/or expert enough to comment on this any input would
> be appreciated, and IMHO a best practice should be a key output of this
> documentation project
>

> *Rob AtkinsonSenior Research Engineer | Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)*
> Mobile: 61-419-202-973
> ratkinson at ogc.org <JFath at ogc.org> | ogc.org
>

> *Sign up for OGC News*
> <https://ogc.us4.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=704e02f81107a6caab1568067&id=4e4528fd9d>
>
> <https://www.ogc.org/webinars>
>

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:14 PM Cameron Shorter <
> cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Scott,
>> I'm not sure if you've been CCed on any of the developments around the
>> GeoLexicon project that we are kicking off?
>>
>> As you can see from the participants in the manifesto linked in the
>> thread below, Rob, Reese and Ron are already involved.
>> Beyond their contributions, I think the OGC could really help by lending
>> your name to the project, and inviting OGC member organisations to stand up
>> their own glossaries as part of the pilot.
>> This could potentially start with a blog post that one of our tech
>> writers (CCed) could pull together, based on our project manifesto.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 07:11, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi OSGeo folks,
>>> A bunch of communities are coming together to address cross-domain
>>> management of glossaries in a pilot running August - December 2020. In
>>> particular, we will be building an OSGeo Glossary, as well as custom
>>> glossaries for any OSGeo project that wants one and is prepared to help
>>> select and define your term list.
>>>
>>> Project manifesto is at:
>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fjrl34ErnYammel9WmvXJ3rMWFANjoSiiGyyNSYOXUg/
>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fjrl34ErnYammel9WmvXJ3rMWFANjoSiiGyyNSYOXUg/edit#>
>>>
>>> I'd like to introduce you to Ankita, Alyssa, and Naini who are tech
>>> writers who've volunteered to define and document our processes and
>>> glossaries. You'll likely be hearing from them over the next month or two.
>>>
>>> Primary communication will be on this email list:
>>> (Check your spam for your confirmation email when subscribing - gmail
>>> seems to have picked out "lexicon" as a problem word.) We will likely set
>>> up a slack channel as well.

> [...]

Carl Reed, PhD
Carl Reed and Associates

Mobile: 970-402-0284

“Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be
limited without being lost.”

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in
philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend"

— Thomas Jefferson, U.S. Founding Father