[TCMUG] OSGeo twin cities chapter (TCMUG) annual report and summaryof February meeting

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Feb 16 16:30:14 EST 2010

Perry,

You should add something in about MapServer (since the "MUG" is being considered for removal) not everyone who reads these things automatically equates MN(Twin Cities) with Mapserver.  Also, can we say Twin Cities, Mn Region or some such in order to blur the edges somewhat about location.

Bitner's name needs to be highlighted some more.  :c)

bobb

>>> Perry Nacionales <pnaciona at gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings, fellow map geeks!

I have created the OSGeo twin cities chapter annual report and would like to share it with you all. Feel free to edit and make changes if you'd like as I don't think Tyler has compiled it with the rest of the annual reports. Here's the link: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Twin_Cities_Chapter_Report_2009
You'll need to have an OSGeo account to edit this thing or you can just tell me what changes you'd like to make.

As for the summary of our meeting... This was supposed to be an informal social event but Steve Lime and I added a couple of topics to discuss--annual report and participation with MN GIS/LIS, particularly with Paul Ramsey being a keynote speaker at MN GIS/LIS this year. To that end, we managed to be really productive as you can tell from the annual report. Please follow the link above to see what we talked about (in the last two sections). We also talked about being more actively involved and having a "more visible" presence at the GIS/LIS conference in support of Paul Ramsey and to promote our group better. Some of the ideas discussed include:

1. having a booth at conference--and Kari will relay that information to the conference committee but we need to find some sponsors to help cover the cost of the booth
2. having a birds of a feather (of course!)
3. having a dedicated open source GIS session
4. having a demofest (installfest)--this we can also, and should, do in one of our meetings.
5. taking Paul on a tour of the north shore (not just the brew pubs)

While we were talking about being more inclusive this year, a suggestion came up that maybe we should change our name to be more inclusive. Some asked why not just promote ourselves as OSGeo-TC... this is something that we all need to discuss at some point.

Oh, I have one number to share with you all; something we can build on: 67. That's the number of subscribers in our mailing list in 2009 and I'm pretty sure there are a few duplicates there. Let's see if we can increase that number at the end of this year.

I'll leave this at that and we can start talking amongst ourselves. :)

-Perry

PS: March meeting anyone? Topic? Guest speakers?