[TCMUG] FW: [Imports] TriMet will begin OSM improvements in thePortland area

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Feb 11 10:33:03 EST 2011

Matt,

I would still like to followup on the discussion at Last years TCMUG
meeting that talked about building independant OSM nodes that could be
managed (and owned) by local communities for exactly this type of
editing.   There are specific items in the OSM layers that we (as a
City) would like to share, that we are the recognized Authority of, but
would prefer not to leave open for anyone else to edit, especially if
we're to start using the OSM data in our respective operational systems.
 Otherwise the OSM data becomes just another dataset, which we already
maintain in our own form.

This semi-private custodial node structure is of high interest here in
implementing, since it lets an authorized entity (the City in this case)
share it's entrusted data without fear of it being re-edited, once it's
out in the open space.

There have been some talk of trying to apply this type of thing down at
the feature level as well, but I'm not up on OSM of late.

bobb

>>> "McGuire, Matthew" <Matt.McGuire at metc.state.mn.us> wrote:

FYI –

TriMet – the Portland transit agency – are taking it upon themselves as
an agency to improve (and maintain?) the quality of the OSM data for
their area. They are hiring a few interns to manually go through the OSM
data and fix it based on their own data and 2010 aerials (six inch).

Originally, I was thinking some massive import would be a good
solution. But I think now we should just start editing the map. Those of
you on the Map Minnesota list are seeing the activity. If we increase
the number of active mappers in the region we could have an incredible
dataset.

Things you can do -
Sign up (if you haven’t already) with OSM and the OSM wiki. Register
yourself as a user in the Twin Cities
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Users_in_the_Twin_Cities

(and Minneapolis, Saint Paul, or wherever else around town you map)

And me as a friend http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Mcguirmm
(and send me a note too!)

Join the Map Minnesota mailing list
http://groups.google.com/group/map-minnesota

Oh, yeah – and start mapping! Let’s blow it out.

Matt