[Tilecache] Using Tilecache WMS from Win32 app

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Dec 5 14:32:56 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 06:03:49PM +0100, David E. Reksten wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. We've got Tilecache up and running smoothly
> with Openlayers on Windows 2003 Server (Apache + mod_python), no
> problem there.
>
> What we want is to access the Tilecache WMS from an application rather
> than a browser.

"An application" meaning "An existing application which uses WMS", or
"an application" meaning "An application written in house?"

TileCache is a tile server *only*: it does not serve standard WMS
requests. Any application wanting to connect to it must speak one of:
  * WMS-C
  * WorldWind
  * TileService (very similar to WorldWind)
  * TMS

Nothing else will work.

ArcMap doesn't speak WMS-C. As far as I'm aware, no desktop GIS
application does. Any application *can* speak WMS-C: it just requires
new code. If you're writing your own application, you'll need to write
one that supports WMS-C.