[Tilecache] Using Tilecache WMS from Win32 app

brindahl rindahl at lrcwe.com
Wed Dec 5 18:26:53 EST 2007

Christopher Schmidt-4 wrote:

> ArcMap doesn't speak WMS-C. As far as I'm aware, no desktop GIS
> application does. Any application *can* speak WMS-C: it just requires
> new code. If you're writing your own application, you'll need to write
> one that supports WMS-C.

Christopher
First you are absolutely right about the above.  Second I hope this is not
getting off topic but I think you can utilize TileCache with ArcGIS.  I have
just completed a proof of concept.  The steps are as follows:
1. Set up TileCache with an additional option to create world files with the
images.  I have this running and I will give you a patch soon  (this
currently is hacked for jpeg images).
2. Create your tiles as usual using tilecache_seed
3. Create an ArcGIS raster catalog and load the tileCache directory
structure, one raster catalog per TileCache level.  This is a one step
process.
4. Load the catalog in ArcMap.  For full functionality, set the display
properties to sequentially show higher and higher resolutions.

Note ArcGIS has to have direct access to the files - it cannot use HTTP.
This might be of use until ESRI supports WMS-C

Bruce
P.S. Christopher - Thanks for a great package!