[Tilecache] Tilecache and MapServer

John Westwood John.Westwood at port.ac.uk
Tue May 1 08:13:13 EDT 2007

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your help, it now works. I just had to set up MapServer as a
WMS server. I accomplished this by adding something similar to the
following to the WEB definition of my map file:

METADATA
   "wms_title" "My Global Map WMS Server"
   "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326"
END

The EPSG:4326 being longitude / latitude.

To make the layer available through WMS, I added something similar to
the following to the LAYER definitions:

METADATA
   "wms_title" "Layer Name"
END

Thanks!

John W.

================================
John Westwood
Research Assistant
Great Britain Historical GIS Project
Department of Geography, University of Portsmouth
Buckingham Building, Lion Terrace, Portsmouth PO1 3HE

GIS Project Office: (023) 9284 2500

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 05:08:52PM +0100, John Westwood wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Looking at tilecache.cgi with a text editor reveals the following
> error:

John --

The first step to getting TileCache working is getting WMS working via
MapServer. You should first set up a WMS layer talking directly to the
MapServer in OpenLayers. Once you have that working, you can move on
the next step.

The MapServer documentation has information on setting up a mapfile
for
use by a WMS client -- the MapServer layer in OpenLayers does not need
full WMS layer support, but TileCache, as a WMS client, does. So does
the Layer.WMS in OpenLayers, so if you get it working there, TileCache
should be all set.