[Tilecache] using tilecache to serve programmaticly created mapnik maps

Graham Carlyle graham.carlyle at maplecroft.com
Fri Nov 9 05:32:20 EST 2007

Hi

I've altered tilecache to allow me to serve a map that I've created
programmatically using the mapnik python bindings.

Is this a reasonable use of tilecache? or should I write an webapp that
supports WMS and use tilecache in front of that. This other approach
seemed like it would require a lot more effort.

I basically created a class based on MapnikLayer (in TileCache/Layer.py)
and altered the TileCache/Service.py to support a "module" attribute in
the tilecache.cfg to override Layer.py as the module to look in for the
Layer class so I could put my custom class in a module outside the
TileCache package.

cheers,
Graham