[Tilecache] using tilecache to serve programmaticly created mapnik maps

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Nov 9 07:19:46 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 10:32:20AM +0000, Graham Carlyle wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've altered tilecache to allow me to serve a map that I've created
> programmatically using the mapnik python bindings.
>
> Is this a reasonable use of tilecache? or should I write an webapp that
> supports WMS and use tilecache in front of that. This other approach
> seemed like it would require a lot more effort.

Agreed.

So, TC 2.0 was supposed to have a refactoring that turned layers into
sigle files in the TileCache/Layer subdirectory. I wrote it before I
started work on 1.9, then decided there were too many things to fix in
1.9 to just go with itt so I need to go back and pull it back.

THis would be well suited to that -- you'd just drop your
Layer/MyMapnik.py into the directory, and edit your conig, and be off
and running.

That said, in the meantime, what you've done sounds fine, and I have no
architectural concerns about it -- just regret that I didn't go ahead
and work on the bits I should have to make this easier for you.