[Tilecache] Call TileCache from MapServer

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 10 15:14:57 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 09:16:19AM -0700, Schuyler Erle wrote:
> * On 10-Oct-2007 at  8:59AM PDT, Christopher Helm said:
> It would actually be a pretty useful feature to have TileCache seam
> together tiles as a configuration option and deliver them via regular
> WMS, but I'm pretty sure someone would need to submit a patch.

This functionality now exists in GDAL: the docs are down at the moment,
but with a trunk build of GDAL, you can use a file that looks like the
following:

<GDAL_WMS>
    <Service name="WMS">
        <Version>1</Version>
        <ServerUrl>http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/Basic.py?</ServerUrl>
        <Layers>basic</Layers>
    </Service>
    <DataWindow>
        <UpperLeftX>-180.0</UpperLeftX>
        <UpperLeftY>90.0</UpperLeftY>
        <LowerRightX>180.0</LowerRightX>
        <LowerRightY>-90.0</LowerRightY>
        <SizeX>268435456</SizeX>
        <SizeY>134217728</SizeY>
        <TileLevel>19</TileLevel>
    </DataWindow>
    <Projection>EPSG:4326</Projection>
    <OverviewCount>19</OverviewCount>
    <BlockSizeX>256</BlockSizeX>
    <BlockSizeY>256</BlockSizeY>
    <BandsCount>3</BandsCount>
</GDAL_WMS>

to talk to a TileCache.

Note that I'm not actually 100% sure how this works from within
MapServer -- but with a trunk GDAL, it should be possible to have GDAL
talk directly to TileCache, and stitch the images for you. (The gdal-dev
or mapserver lists might be useful places to enquire more, or at least
start searching to see if anyone else has asked on it yet.)