[Tilecache] wms-c hosting

James McManus jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 20:20:46 EST 2008

Beau,

Thanks for the information I will check it out. Write now $20/mo is more
than I was thinking of paying. But I may use it in the future, if I am
successful. I'm also looking at CoralCDN, although I've read that it may
have high latency.  I have my own server, but want to find ways of
increasing its performance and make it more reliable, in case of
increase use or unexpected outages. I'm also not sure if I want to get
into the server business.  It's nice having one to experiment with, but
I would prefere not having to maintain one for costumers.

Part of my business plan is to market maps to costumers who have a need
for specialized maps, but are using a Web host instead of having their
own server.  Marketing maps to them would be more difficult if I have to
set up a lot of specialized software on there website. Therefore, my
plan is to just set up an Openlayers web page on their site, and to
serve the tiles from another location.

I'm thinking there are other people with similar business concepts, so
there may be a need for a service that specializes in serving WMS files,
and other services such as WFS, for small businesses. One idea would be
to start a WMS Coop, where small businesses could store and serve there
tiles. It could also be a clearinghouse for WMS data. Is such a concept
be tossed around in the WMS community, or am I out in left field?

Jim