[Tilecache] wms-c hosting

Beau Gunderson beau at beaugunderson.com
Sat Feb 2 20:34:14 EST 2008

Oops, sorry for not replying to the list! I always manage to forget that
that isn't the default in gmail.

I think there may very well be a market for a cooperative venture in terms
of WMS data-serving. If enough people have a need to display data through
WMS then it become economical pretty quickly, though you'd have to calculate
out the bandwidth usage in advance to avoid overage charges.

Right now I have my own server though I was looking at Media Temple to see
if I could use it to gain a little more speed as my current server is
shared.

The only problem I see is that if you use a less expensive server it
probably won't support either SSH access or serving Python scripts--which is
what you'd want for TileCache. The way around that might be to pre-render
everything to a directory structure and then upload that to a host, and then
write an adapter for OpenLayers to create URLs based on the directory
structure instead of calls to a WMS compliant script. I think OpenStreetMap
has code to do that, from what I remember offhand.