[Tilecache] Setting up a TMS Server

Nathan Boettcher NathanB at lawtonprinting.com
Tue May 13 12:59:47 EDT 2008

>What structure?  WMS and TMS are two different URL syntaxes for
>specifying what tile you want.  TileCache handles both.

So you're saying it shouldn't matter if I use WMS or TMS to grab my tiles?

>ImageLayer needs the Python Imaging Library.  If you're on Unix, look
>for "python-imaging" in your favourite package repository.  Otherwise,
>get it here:
>
>    http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
>
></F>

Thanks, that helped solved one problem.  And might I note, that's not in the
required libraries part of the README.txt.  Python obviously doesn't come
with it pre-installed.

So now that I have the library installed, I still get blank pink tiles.
Clicking to view the image gives me an xml output instead of an error, but
it's not creating/fetching the tiles.  The location it is trying to access
doesn't exist because it hasn't been created by Tilecache yet.  I've tried
putting the pre-generated tiles from gdal2tiles where it is looking but that
doesn't work either as there are no xml files with the tiles, just the one
xml file in the base directory for the whole set.

The gdal2tiles gives an OpenLayers example, but it's a hack for looking at a
local file system, not a tile server.

So, what is it that I'm missing?  I have a feeling this shouldn't be this
difficult.