[Tilecache] How to use TileCache as a TMS-server?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Nov 12 07:15:49 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:57:50PM -0800, crinolium wrote:

> Christopher Schmidt-4 wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "Because the tiles aren't there". If you
> > copy the URL of a pink tile
> > (http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/TroubleshootingTips#Pinktiles), what
> > does the error message say?
> >

> Thanks for the answers.
>
> I don't get an error message. But I only get the message.
>
> <Services>
> <TileMapService version="1.0.0"
> href="http://localhost/tilecache-2.04/tilecache.cgi//1.0.0/"/>
> </Services>

Right, sorry, obvious problem: TMS URLs don't end in a "?". Get rid of
it.

> Now, I want to use the TileCache as a TMS-server and I don't know how to do
> this. I think, the difference between a TileCache-layer and a TMS-layer is
> only the manner of storage.

No, there is no difference.

> TileCache-tiles are stored like this:
> http://localhost/tilecache/tk/00/000/000/001/000/000/003.jpeg and TMS-tiles
> are stored like that:
> http://localhost/tilecache-2.04/tilecache.cgi?????1.0.0/tk/0/0/3.jpg

No. TileCache tiles are always stored in the same way on disk, but the
difference is that you will be accessing them *through* TileCache which
will do a different mapping for you. The same tiles are stored.