[Tilecache] S3 storage and TileCache

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Thu Nov 13 10:00:51 EST 2008

Hi all,

I'm looking into using the Amazon S3 support of TileCache. However at
the moment TileCache is using S3 as storage only and requests the
tiles from S3 and then sends them to the client, doubling bandwidth
usage of the server running TileCache. My reason to use S3 is because
we run out of bandwidth at our setup and we assume Amazon has
slightly more available :)

I still need tilecache.py because of the sheer amount of layers that
are available (200 ATM) it is impossible to pretile everything so
tilecache needs to create tiles if they are not yet available. So
what I'm looking for is a way to let the client request tiles
directly from S3 when available and let TileCache create the tile on
S3 when it is not yet available.

Has anyone tried something like this or has anyone ideas how to do
such a setup?

Regards,
Steven