[Tilecache] Why is the bounding box/resolution from the original request not honored?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Nov 14 06:35:10 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 04:17:49AM -0500, chris marx wrote:
> I'm still trying to get the right codes to access spherical mercator in
> Manifold GIS WMS. If that fails, can someone point me to the right class
> where the calculations are made that translate the x,y,z variables in the
> mercator request? I might have to convert that to lat/lng to get a proper
> response from the wms server-

This will not help you. If you ask for unprojected data, this will *not*
overlay correctly on Google maps -- Google Maps data is projected.
Laying data down in two different projections will not work.

TileCache does no calculation -- it works entirely in planes. Google
Maps is projected in Mercator, so the tiles it cares about are mercator
tiles, so there is no conversion to lat/long that matters in this
process.

(Is there a reason you're not using OpenLayers?)