[Tilecache] New to group

Joe Hildreth xavier at gtec.com
Fri Feb 20 17:49:35 EST 2009

Hello all,

I am new to the group and have a question or two.

I have been trying to get my brain around this mapping stuff and have
reached a point where I am stuck. But following is what I have done and
I will end with my question(s).

1) I have used my Garmin GPS60 to track some data where I live.
2) I used this data to build a map using the JOSM editor.
3) I used the resulting .osm file and ran it through osm2pgsql to get
the data in my postgres server.
4) I used Mapnik's generate_tiles.py script to create tiles from a zoom
level of 10 through 18 on a bounding box. These tiles sit in a folder on
my hard disk.
5) I have apache installed and tilecache (although I have not configured
tilecache yet.)

And here is where I am stuck and here are some questions ...

1) Can I use openlayers to read my generated tiles directly?
2) Do I need to use Tilecache to get them to Open layers?
3) How do I configure tilecache to use my tiles?

Now I know that some of these questions are not Openlayers specific, and
I know that I can use Openlayers with OSM directly, but this is a
learning experience for me that may result in a custom application for
the county I live in. This would result in data that I would not post to
OSM.

I am pleading that someone can help fill in the gaps for me. If nothing
else a pointing to some documentation that I can read to sew up the
gaps.

Many thanks for both your time and patients.

Warm Regards,

Joe Hildreth