[Tilecache] Generate tiles from KML

tamlyn tamlyn at tamlyn.org
Tue Jul 14 15:35:29 EDT 2009

Hi, I'm kinda new to TileCache and OpenLayers.

I need to display a zoomable map of the world showing countries and borders
(but no more detail) with each country highlighted in a different colour
according to a local database. The colour is unlikely to change very often
but it will change.

I've got a KML of country borders which I can modify to appropriately colour
the individual polygons but I need to render this into raster tiles for use
with TileCache and OpenLayers. I've looked at Mapnik and GDAL2Tiles but
neither seem to meet my needs. I'd rather not have to deal with ESRI
Shapefiles as they require a separate library.

Any ideas? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

  Tam.