[Tilecache] Some definitions

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:09:17 EDT 2009

> To do so I think I should better understand the various terminology such as
> "bounding box","resolution","extent", "projection" etc...
>
> So... Where can I find a good definitions and explanations for these terms?

mmhh, GIS is a vast science and web GIS is a big part of it.
You may find a lot of sparse stuff in the web, but imho a nice and
organized way to start is reading both of this book (even if for you
the second may be of bigger interest):

http://www.amazon.com/Desktop-GIS-Mapping-Planet-Source/dp/1934356069/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242763272&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/GIS-Web-Developers-Adding-Applications/dp/0974514098/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242763272&sr=8-8

Didn't read the first, but i read the second and i think it is
excellent for newbies

best regards
Paolo