[Tilecache] Locking mechanism when generating new tiles?

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Wed Feb 10 14:49:56 EST 2010

   I'm curious what Tilecache does for locking when generating a new tile?
If multiple clients request the same tile that isn't yet in the cache,
what happens?   Do both Tilecache instances request the tile from
Mapserver?

   The reason I'm asking is we are having a very intermittant problem that
locks up our server.   We have separate virtual machines for TileCache,
Mapserver, and other components.   On Tilecache we observe a scenario
where all of a sudden requests start to wait and new ones build up until
resources get used up (many waiting Apache processes).  There isn't any
significant CPU usage, just lots of ram used up from waiting Apache
processes.

   The only thing that came to my mind was some sort of race condition.

   We don't yet have a way to reliably replicate the issue, and it only
happens periodically, so don't have anything specific to report yet --
only investigating possibilities.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"