[Tilecache] TileCache tile storage questions

Xiaoyu Guan guanxiaoyu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 08:20:26 EST 2011

Dear Tilecache maillinglist:
I have some questions. I coult not find answer on our mailinglist.
I hope someone could answer my questions or any other information which are
welcome.

1. Can I store tile in zip or gz format?
For my understand Apache web server can read gz or zip format.

2. tilessize matter? 512*512 vs 256*256 which one is faster
256pixels took too much disk space. if we use 512 pixel, I think tiles
totally size will be smaller.
because ,if the 256pixel tile is less than 4kb, the tile still take 4kb
disk space. that s why I want to increase to 512*512px.

3. Is MBtiles as same faster as disk tiles, if I store tiles in mbtiles?

4. how much diskspace can MBtiles save?(if we have 500GB disk tiles right
now, MBtiles will be 100GB or even smaller?)

Thanks in advance.
Any information are welcome.

Xiaoyu