[Tiling] compact tile format anyone

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at bogosoft.com
Fri Dec 24 07:29:54 EST 2010

Hi Mateusz,

On 23.12.2010, at 12:19, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> I'd suggest to take a look at specification of the PostGIS RASTER
> (formerly known as WKTRaster) and see if it would fit the ideas and
> needs discussed here. If something is missing, I believe the spec can be
> improved and PostGIS will benefit as well.
> Once the spec is made "portable", it's a matter of implementing it for
> SQLite (perhaps with collaboration of SpatiaLite).

I haven't had the opportunity to play/work with it, but WKTRaster sounds really interesting. It does much more than we need for a tile storage and so I think it would be too large/complex dependency. I'll have a look at the spec and see if we can share at least some parts so that it would be easy to use PostGIS Raster as a tile backend.

Regards,
Oliver