[Tiling] compact tile format anyone

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Dec 24 07:43:58 EST 2010

On 24/12/10 12:29, Oliver Tonnhofer wrote:
> On 23.12.2010, at 12:19, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> I'd suggest to take a look at specification of the PostGIS RASTER
>> (formerly known as WKTRaster) and see if it would fit the ideas
>> and needs discussed here. If something is missing, I believe the
>> spec can be improved and PostGIS will benefit as well. Once the
>> spec is made "portable", it's a matter of implementing it for
>> SQLite (perhaps with collaboration of SpatiaLite).
>
> I haven't had the opportunity to play/work with it, but WKTRaster
> sounds really interesting. It does much more than we need for a tile
>  storage and so I think it would be too large/complex dependency.

Oliver,

I am not suggesting to use WKTRaster implementation, so no actual
dependency.

> I'll have a look at the spec and see if we can share at least some
> parts so that it would be easy to use PostGIS Raster as a tile
> backend.

Yes, I am suggesting to look at the WKTRaster specification
which is, in my opinion, well crafted to handle variety of tile
configurations and schemes.
Such collaboration on the spec level potentially could be beneficial for
both sides and would make WKTRaster a good test bed and reference
implementation.
Not to mention that if same schema for metadata is used by various
implementations for server dbms and file-based databases, then
interoperability and portability is increased. Think of OGC standard.

Best regards.
Member of ACCU, http://accu.org