[Tiling] Re: inodes

Frederic Junod frederic.junod at camptocamp.com
Fri Feb 18 04:41:51 EST 2011

Hello Gabriel,

We had the same issue on a ext3 partition; our first fix was to
rebuild the filesystem with more inodes.
It worked but we realized that the tiles directories where impossible
to manage: it took more than 2 days to get the dir size with 'du' and
rsync never finish (> 3 days to compute the files to transfer).
Now we're using amazon s3 to store all our tiles.

Maybe a distributed filesystem (like HDFS) can be an option ?

Regards,
fredj

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Gabriel Roldan <groldan at opengeo.org> wrote:
> well, reiserfs seems to be doing the trick.
> btw, also tried btrfs but found it started to get slower than the others
> while the number of files increase. Or at least it seemed for my
> "benchmarking"
> anyone has experiences/pointer to posts about tile caches and disk/fs
> performance?
> Cheers,
> Gabriel
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Gabriel Roldan <groldan at opengeo.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Tilers,
>> just a question:
>> while running a seed task I ran out of free inodes (fs type was ext4, on a
>> 500GB disk, single primary partition) and started to get "no space left on
>> device" errors./
>> Well, reason seems obvious, and as I'm sure you already found this issue
>> or knew about it, I'm wondering what you usually recomment/do when planning
>> a partition to hold a tile cache.
>> Cheers,
>> Gabriel
>> --
>> Gabriel Roldan
>> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org
>> Expert service straight from the developers.
>

> --
> Gabriel Roldan
> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Frédéric Junod