[Tiling] Re: inodes

Arne Kepp arne at tiledmarble.org
Fri Feb 18 04:56:51 EST 2011

On 2/18/11 10:41 AM, Frederic Junod wrote:
> It worked but we realized that the tiles directories where impossible
> to manage: it took more than 2 days to get the dir size with 'du' and
> rsync never finish (>  3 days to compute the files to transfer).
A couple of tips:

Old versions of rsync try to build a file list in memory, which is
hopeless. If you have rsync 3.0.0 or better (on both sides) it should be
fine and start transfering almost immediately. But netcat'ing tar is
more efficient.

Some filsystems do accounting on the directories, so du can be fast. But
that multiplies the overhead when writing new tiles, since 4-5
directories have to be updated. Better to just have tiles (or layers,
even) on a dedicated partition and use df -h.

-Arne