[Tiling] Tilestore Benchmarks

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Mon May 2 10:05:33 EDT 2011

  On 5/2/2011 3:35 PM, Oliver Tonnhofer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I promised to post my benchmarks of an SQLite based tile store. I had to rerun my tests with different options and different cache sizes, but here are finally the results:
>
> http://dev.mapproxy.org/misc/tilestorebench/
>
> As you'll notice, SQLite is faster in any benchmark and some of the numbers are quite impressive.
>
> With a hot filecache, the SQLite store peeked at 26k tiles/s while the file system peeked only at 2.5k (the graphs are smoothed with a running average of 10). Even for tile sets that do not fit in memory SQLite is much faster (~300 vs. ~150t/s with meta requests, ~85 vs ~40t/s for complete random requests).
Hi Oliver,

Any idea if the speed increase on reading tiles from an SQLite database
is due to a better caching of tiles/tilelocations? I find it interesting
that reading from the database has a much steeper curve than straight
from disk. I would have assumed that disk management should be able to
cache the file-location-table.

Anyway this is really encouraging!

Thanks for the benchmarks
Steven