[Ubuntu] The Future of UbuntuGIS

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Tue May 12 18:44:41 EDT 2009

Hi,

See comments below..

Alex Mandel wrote:
> [...]
>> PPA:
>>
>> - If a new version of a software (i.e GDAL) is released on May 1st. It's
>>    too late: a new Ubuntu Distribution has been released in April. All users
>>    will have to wait until October to get the new release of GDAL. (We could
>>    add a backport, but that's another thing)
>>
>> - If a new release of a given package is only included in new Ubuntu
>>    releases then users who want that package would have to upgrade
>>    their entire distribution to be sure that the package will work
>>    properly.
>>

>> A benefit of using a PPA is that we will be able to build and publish
>> packages for more than one distribution. So, users wont have to upgrade
>> their distribution just to have the new software releases.
>>

>> Distribution and Software releases
>>
>> My plan is to support one year of Ubuntu release. That is 3
>> distributions. Currently, the task is to keep the packages up to date for
>> the following 3 distributions:
>>
>> - Hardy
>> - Intrepid
>> - Jaunty
>>
>> As soon as the next Ubuntu release (Karmic) will be released, hardy
>> packages will not be maintained anymore. Obviously, if it's not possible to
>> update a package in a older release due to dependencies problems, it wont
>> be.
>>

>> UbunguGIS PPAs
>>
>> As you can see on the UbuntuGIS launchpad page:
>> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis , I have created 3 PPAs:
>>
>> ubuntugis-stable : I am not sure that this one will be used. The universe
>>                     Ubuntu repository should already contain the "stable"
>>                     packages.
>>
>> ubuntugis-unstable : That one should contain all up to date packages.
>>
>> ubuntugis-testing : This one will be used by maintainers for new
>>                      package versions and tests.
>>

>> UbuntuGIS Requirements
>>
>> - SVN repository: To share the packaging work between maitainers.
>>
>> - BUG Tracker: Due to some limitations of launchpad, we can't create a bug
>>                for a specific PPA/Team. We need a bug tracker to allow
>>                users to report a bug about our packages and/or request a
>>                package update.
>>
>> UbuntuGIS Community Requirements

>> For your information, my primary language is not English (if you
>> haven't noticed yet :P). It's French. Don't hesitate to talk to me in
>> French and/or correct me if what I wrote is not clear or is totally
>> wrong. I will be glad to improve my English.
>>

>> All thoughts and opinions are welcome!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Alan
>>

> Overall, great plan. My only concern is the plan to drop support for
> Hardy when Karmic comes out. Hardy is an LTS(Long term support) release
> and for GIS libraries like GDAL, GEOS and server tools like mapserver
> this could be important. LTS servers would be expected to only change
> for new versions of LTS which I understand to be every 2 years. Of
> course that would mean 4 versions to keep up on unless we dropped

That's a very good point. While i was writing the email, i forgot the
LTS release. You are absolutly right, the LTS releases  have to be
supported for.. 2 years (the time between 2 LTS versions) ? or fully (5
years)? That needs to be decided.
> We also need to contemplate building on the great work of
> deb http://les-ejk.cz/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
> who seems to always be one step ahead of everyone else.

Yes, if it is, we can.
> I'll also note, that I found the debs for GEOS, PROJ, SQLite
> "Backportable" from Jaunty to Intrepid and Hardy without modification,
> aside from a warning about Ubuntu version. This concerns work on
> Spatialite which requires those 3 to be fairly new even to work.

Yes, some packages can be backported without any modification. In
launchpad, we can do a "Copy existing binaries". But we have to be sure
that the package is OK to do that. I would prefer to try it by myself on
my dev machine, and re-upload it to launchpad in the appropriate series.
If the package can be copied as it is.... that not very much effort to
test it and re-upload it.

> Alex

Thanks Alex!
Alan