[Ubuntu] The Future of UbuntuGIS

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Thu May 14 08:17:54 EDT 2009

Hi

On May 13, 2009 10:10:58 pm Alex Mandel wrote:
> This page seems to have all the information
> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

Yes, that is exactly what I read first.

> 1. Alan(or another Guru creates the PPA)

The PPAs are already created. You can see the current packages that are
uploaded there: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable

> 2. Contributors register with launchpad, including public signing key
> 3. Alan grants your account permission
> 4. Use dput to upload the package source and diff files

Basically, launchpad is very simple, and that is almost what we have to do.

> The really relevant commands are 1/2 down that help page.
>
> I'm happy to help you figure it out as I've been meaning to also.
>
> Alex

About supporting older distributions. There is no really "magic" made by
launchpad for that. For Jaunty and Intrepid, that's not very complicated, they
are almost the same. But for hardy, we have to do some tweaks, because the
"debhelper" version (and some other packages) are older. Normally, it's not
very hard/long to do it.  For my part, I made the modifications, I generate
what I need (debuild -S [-sd or -sa]), test it with pbuilder and upload.
Launchpad allows us to "Copy packages" if we are sure that they will work
between 2 distributions. I have not played with that yet... that's worrying
me. I prefer to test it by myself with pbuilder and manually upload it.

Thanks,
Alan

--
Alan Boudreault