[Ubuntu] problem building GRASS add-ons

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 17:25:11 EDT 2010

Taylor Hermes wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and GRASS
> 6.4.0 rc6.  I would like to install
> the GRASS add-ons available from the SVN, but when I
> attempt to 'make
> MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/lib/grass64' I get an error.
>
> mkdir -p
> /build/buildd/grass-6.4.0~rc6/bin.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> mkdir: невозможно создать каталог
> «/build»: Отказано в доступе
> make: ***
> [/build/buildd/grass-6.4.0~rc6/bin.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu]
> Ошибка
>
> I have the grass-dev package installed and followed the
> directions
> available here:http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Addons

Hi there,

it's a known problem we are actively working on. right now it
only really works well if you build GRASS from source yourself.

the main thing is that paths in
 /usr/lib/grass64/include/Make/Platform.make
need to be edited to refer to the final install directory, not
the temporary packaging directory on the build server.

I am undecided if the fix belongs in upstream packaging rules
(cc debiangis) or in upstream 'make install' (grass-dev).
?

another issue is that plugins should be installed to /usr/local/
or ~/grass_addons, ~/.grass/addons/ (or some user-writable dir;
on a multi-user system the end-user may not have sudo rights
but still would like some addons). Typically this also means
setting $GRASS_ADDON_PATH in your ~/.bashrc.

the R-statistics CRAN addons can perhaps give some guidance here?

Hamish