[Ubuntu] ECW CRS definition

Lee muellerl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 13:52:52 EDT 2011

I've tried the QGIS-user listserv to no avail. Figured I'd try here, perhaps
at least I can get forwarded to the right one.

I have an ECW that does not seem to want to accept a CRS definition.
Initially I was attempting to warp the ECW file from Michigan Georef to
NAD83 UTM zone 17. I got an error.

ERROR 1: Unable to compute a transformation between pixel/line
and georeferenced coordinates for /home/lee/documents/gis/
detroit/aerial/WYANDOTTE_NE/WYANDOTTE_NE.ecw.
There is no affine transformation and no GCPs

QGIS shows a generated CRS that seems right for Michigan Georef, it just
does not seem to recognize that a CRS is there, so I cannot warp to the new
projection. Next, I tried manually assigning the CRS in question so I would
then be able to convert.

gdal_translate in.ecw out.ecw -a_srs EPSG:3078

This creates a file, but one which is un-readable in qgis.

I am not exactly sure which is the problem that needs fixing here.
Essentially, I just need to find a way to get this ECW file (in Michigan
Georef) as any format (in NAD83 UTM zone 17). So whatever suggestions you
have for accomplishing this, I am willing to try.

Thanks for any help in advance.

--
all the best,
Lee