[Ubuntu] spatialite on 12.04 ?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue May 29 12:36:10 PDT 2012

On 05/29/2012 05:23 AM, Micha Silver wrote:
> Is any work being done on the spatialite suite (+rasterlite) available for
> Precise? The current CLI version 3.0.0beta of spatialite-bin is almost a year
> old, and the spatialite-gui 1.3 is really ancient, and lacks many features
> available in the CLI. So, for example, a user creating a database from the
> command line will not be able to open it with the GUI.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Micha
>
> --
> Micha Silver
> http://www.surfaces.co.il
> 52-3665918

Micha,

The gui has always lagged in packaging in large part because Sandro
keeps adding new dependencies which are tricky to build. We rely heavily
on the debiangis team to figure this stuff out.

I know I got stuck on the 1.5 gui because it won't build without
rasterlite (which I couldn't get to build) so I'm using 1.4.x. This was
in part because some new libs were needed that are only in very recent
versions of debian/ubuntu. Now that precise is out maybe its more feasible.

If you know anyone with skills in packaging that can help send them on
over. Keep in mind we also want to keep in line with what QGIS supports
otherwise you get databases that can't be opened there either.

It would be great actually if we can get someone who is good with
spatialite building to help maintain the packages though Sandro seems
happy enough not to be involved.

Thanks,
Alex